Associate Professor in Applied and Computational Mathematics and Electrical Engineering
Associated Faculty in Mathematics
- Overview article on Community Detection and the Stochastic Block Model
- ISIT15 Tutorial on "Information Theory and Machine Learning" with M. Wainwright, material: part 1, part 2, booklet (zip of all files here).
- Upcoming workshop at the American Institute of Mathematics on the block model
- 2014 Bell Labs Prize and Shannon’s centennial at Bell Labs
- Workshop at IHP on "Networks: information, computation and learning"
- Spring 15 at the Simons Institute, Berkeley
Research Interests: Graphical inference, statistical networks, information theory, learning theory, discrete probability.
Acknowledgments: NSF, ARO, Bell Labs Prize, NSF CAREER Award, Google Research Award.
Teaching: This spring I teach a class on random graphs and networks. The class provides an introduction to the mathematical theory of random graphs and to various models that play a key role in the analysis of real networks and data sets. It starts with the Erdös-Rényi model, threshold phenomena, Boolean Fourier analysis, subgraph containtment, connectivity, giant, chromatic number and evolves towards more realistic models capturing clustering and power-law phenomenona. Emphasis will be put on the stochastic block model, spectral graph theory and cascade models.
- E. Abbe, C. Sandon, "Detection in the stochastic block model with multiple clusters: proof of the achievability conjectures, acyclic BP, and the information-computation gap" updated version here (algorithmic part at NIPS 16 with oral and statstical part at ISIT 16)
- I. Cabreros, E. Abbe, A. Tsirigos, "Detecting community structures in Hi-C genomic data" CISS 15
- E. Abbe, C. Sandon, "Recovering communities in the general stochastic block model without knowing the parameters" NIPS 15
- E. Abbe, C. Sandon, "Community detection in the general stochastic block model: fundamental limits and efficient recovery algorithms" update here, FOCS 15
- E. Abbe, A. Shpilka, A. Wigderson, "Reed-Muller codes for random erasures and erros" STOC 15
- Y. Desphande, E. Abbe, A. Montanari, "Asymptotic mutual information for the balanced binary SBM"
- E. Abbe, Y. Wigderson, "High-girth matrices and polarization" ISIT 15
- E. Abbe, J. Li, M. Madiman, "Entropies of weighted sums in cyclic groups and applications to polar codes"
- E. Abbe, K. Edwards, "Concentration of the number of solution of random CSPs and Goldreich's one-way function candidate"
- E. Abbe, A. Bandeira, G. Hall, "Exact recovery in the stochastic block model" http://arxiv.org/abs/1405.3267. Update here.
- E. Abbe, N. Alon, A. Bandeira, "Linear Boolean classification, coding and "the critical problem"" ISIT 14
- E. Abbe, A. Bandeira, A. Bracher, A. Singer, "Decoding graph labels from censored correlations: phase transition and efficient recovery" IEEE TNSE
- E. Lee, E. Abbe, "A Shannon approach to multiparty secure computations" Allerton 14
- E. Abbe, A. Montanari, "Conditional random fields, planted constraint satisfaction and entropy concentration" RANDOM 13 and TOC
- R. Chou, M. Bloch, E. Abbe, "Polar coding for secret-key generation", http://arxiv.org/abs/1305.4746 Info. Theory Trans.
- S. Haghighatshoar, E. Abbe, "A new entropy power inequality over the integers" http://arxiv.org/abs/1301.4185 Info. Theory Trans.
- S. Haghighatshoar, E. Abbe, "Polarization of the Rényi information dimension for single and multi terminal A2A compression" http://arxiv.org/abs/1301.6388
- E. Abbe, A. Montanari, "On the concentration of the number of solutions of random satisfiability formulas", Random structures and algorithms 2013, http://arxiv.org/abs/1006.3786
- N. Goela, E. Abbe, M. Gastpar, "Polar codes for broadcast channels" http://arxiv.org/abs/1301.6150 Info. Theory Trans.
- S. Haghighatshoar, E. Abbe, E. Telatar, “Adaptive sensing using deterministic partial Hadamard matrices”, ISIT 12, http://arxiv.org/abs/1202.6555
- E. Abbe, A. Khandani, A. W. Lo, “Privacy-preserving methods in systemic risk", American Economical Review (AER) 2012. New York Times article: http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/09/09/a-data-weapon-to-avoid-the-next-financial-crisis/
- E. Abbe, "Polarization of correlated sources, distributed compression and secrecy", Allerton 2011 and Info. Theory Trans.
- E. Abbe, "Mutual information, matroids and extremal dependencies", http://arxiv.org/abs/1012.4755 version updated with entropic matroids: here
- E. Abbe, S. L. Huang and E. Telatar, “Proof of the outage probability conjecture for MISO channels”, Info. Theory Trans. 2012, http://arxiv.org/abs/1103.5478
- E. Abbe, E. Telatar, “Polar Codes for the m-User Multiple Access Channel”, Info. Theory Trans.
- E. Abbe, "Polar martingale of maximal spread", In Proc. IZS 2012
- N. Goela, E. Abbe, M. Gastpar, "Polar coding for the deterministic broadcast channels", In Proc. IZS 2012
- E. Abbe, "Polarization and randomness extraction", ISIT 11
- E. Abbe, A. Barron, “Polar coding schemes for the AWGN channel”, in Proc. ISIT 11
- E. Abbe, "Extracting randomness and dependencies using a matrix polarization", ITA 2011, http://arxiv.org/abs/1102.1247 and Info. Theory Trans.
- E. Abbe, L. Zheng, "A coordinate system for Gaussian networks", Info. Theory Trans.
- E. Abbe, B. Rimoldi, R. Urbanke, Chapter: Information Theory, The communications handbook: third edition, Editor J.D. Gibson. CRC Press, 2012.
- E. Abbe, Community detection and the stochastic block model. Draft.
- E. Abbe, M. Wainwright, Information Theory and Machine Learning, ISIT 2015.
- E. Abbe, Comunity detection and graphical inference, Allerton, 2016.
- E. Abbe, Clustering, MSR-UW Summer Research Institute, 2015.
- E. Abbe, Polar codes, ISWCS 2011.
Recent/prospective invited talks and plenaries:
• Institute for Advanced Study, Discrete Mathematics and Computer Science Seminar, 11/16
• Workshop on Local algorithm, MIT-MSR, 01/16
• World Congress on Probability and Statistics, 7/16
• Shannon Centennial, Bell Labs, 4/16
• Annual Stochastic Networks Conference, San Diego, 6/16
• Yale combinatorics and probability seminar, 4/16
• Inference on Networs, Santa Fe Institute, 12/15
• MSR-UW Summer Research Institute, 8/15
• MIT LIDS colloquium, 4/15
• Institute for Mathematics and Applications (IMA), 4/15
• Stanford ISL colloquium, 3/15
• Institut Henry Poincare, Paris, workshop on community detection, 2/15
• Caltech Computing and Mathematical Science Colloquium, 2/15
• Simons Institute, Berkeley, 2-5/15.
• Information Theory and Applications (ITA), 2/15
• Princeton University, Workshop on Matroids and Graphs, 7/14
• Center de Recerca Mathematica, Mathematics of Machine Learning, Barcelona, 6/14
• ICERM, Workshop on Eigenvectors in graph theory and related problems, Brown University, 5/14
• Discrete Mathematics Seminar, Rutgers, 4/14
• Classical and Quantum Noise workshop, Princeton, 3/14
• MIT/MSR Theory Seminar, 2/14
• Information Theory and Applications (ITA), 2/14
• Allerton conference on communication, control, and computing, 10/13
• University of Berkeley, Networking, communications and DSP seminar, 8/13
• Princeton University, Program in applied and computational mathematics colloquium, 4/13
• Institute for Advanced Study, Computer Science and discrete mathematics seminar, 2/13
• Princeton University, Discrete mathematics seminar, 2/13